Friday, February 16, 2018

A Balmy Day in February

February 15... who would have thought???

64 degrees!

As Keith would have reminded me, winter is not over yet. 
It's 25 with a "feels like" of twelve right now on Friday morning. 


Here I am on the raccoon cam yesterday morning, 
headed out to do chores in CAPRIS in February, and 
my oversized Mona Pants tee shirt. 

Crazy!

I am back in Cuddl Duds and a sweatshirt and jeans this morning. 


So, I got started... slowly.  


I had lots of help every step. 


I had to watch everywhere I stepped, because spring is springing. 


Every five minutes, I had to stop... dig out a sapling... 
and cut it underground.  Some I was actually able to pull 
out by the roots.  Others were just too thick. 


There is yarrow in this bed at the back, and a 
patch of nice iris.  I left them alone. 

I unearthed some lily corms and could have slapped myself, I 
buried them again, but I think I had better invest in some new lillies


I moved over to the vegetable beds to do some 
cleanup.  Remember, I am still experiencing muscle weakness, so 
I go very slowly for the time being. 

Four of the eight beds are in pretty good shape, but I will add
manure and dirt to them. 

The other four need to be dug out. 


I also have a big problem in one of the vertical beds. 


It's a rugosa rose, well established.  
I did not plant this, it came while we lived in the big house. 

I am going to carefully start cutting the canes, which have 
wicked, large thorns.  Then I'll start working on the base. 

The vertical panels tie together at the top bar, and I want to 
use these beds again for climbing flowers.  


I pulled all the canes out of the middle area yesterday.  The far bed 
needs to be dug out, too. 

I'll have the yard service keep all this area cut down this year, when Keith and I 
planned this garden, we did not do enough thinking about keeping the paths clean. 


Beyond that bed lie the "bones" of my 
hoop house.  Some way, some how, I am going to get it 
resurrected.  It may take another year, I have to have 
someone to build the ends again.  Beyond the 
hoop house there are two beds that have iris in them, but 
also formerly, hollyhocks and sedum.  I am going to dig those beds
out and hollyhocks are coming back to Calamity Acres. 


I am never alone.  See that blue thing on the 
ground?  I am still picking up random pieces of plastic that 
appear everywhere.  In fact, this morning, doing chores, I 
picked up another 4 pieces.  Where do they COME from???


Four years ago, when we moved to the big house, 
my friend Georgie sent me some marigold seeds from Oregon. 
I planted them, and every year, saved the seed.  

I pulled this clump from the tomato bed yesterday, 
and I hung it in the henhouse for the time being. 

There will be a full bed of bright red and maroon 
marigolds again this year, descendants of 
the Oregon marigolds.  


This group, and the ones on the deck, will not be filled 
and planted until proper planting time, because of the hens, 
who love to jump in them and DIG.  I'm also 
going to have to put netting on them until the plants get going. 
The alternative is to fence the hens into their own run... but I hate doing that. 
They are happy running all over the yard, and I am dealing with the Poop Factor. 
That's starling poop on the deck, though, they hang out in the big maple off and on. 

As soon as it warms enough, the starlings will be gone to the fields for the summer. 


My daily reward for letting them roam. 

I took this as I gathered eggs last night. 


We see you. 


This is what raccoons do to the water in the henhouse. 


Feral Spooky waited while I cleaned the water and opened a can of 
food for him this morning, he is a smart boy.  I always leave a container of 
dry food, but I put wet food out in the morning and the evening. 

Isn't he lovely? 





8 comments:

  1. I moved last May and rescued a couple roses the ground crew were mowing over. I later discovered the graft on one is gone. That bush and a poorly placed rose need to be dug up. I hate digging up anything...is such an ordeal. Spooky is a handsome boy(?) Nice that he's calming down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first egg in THREE WEEKS yesterday; can't believe how many you're getting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spooky is a beautiful boy. Lots of beds and lots of work Mary Ann. Take it easy doing it because you still feel bad. Do what you can.

    The Redneck is working tomorrow. I will piddle in the house. I cannot do anything outdoors yet.

    Have a great weekend. Suppose to be raining here anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're having the same kid of up and down weather here. It was in the 60's yesterday, and tonight it's to get into the low 20's! Your hens look so happy, roaming around. I would love to let mine out, but Phoebe would kill them instantly. Grrrr. Oh well, they have a large area where they're safe, but it still bugs me! Enjoy those fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Indeed, Spooky is spunky!!! I love all your plans, Mary Ann... hollyhocks are gorgeous! Steady as she goes, gal. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great read. I want so much to get into the yard work, but we have had rain, rain and more rain......hate it. I'm moving things around this year also. Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lots of work ahead! but, as much as i hate winter ending, i'm getting itchy gardening fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that you are back here reclaiming your little farm :-).

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!