Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Buffalo

Two days ago, I showed you pictures of the buffalo across the 
state highway from our old place. 


They are magnificent, are they not? 



I saw them as I came out of our road at the 
highway (called either State Ave. or 
24/40 highway) and decided to turn left. 



Now, a story about them. 

The owners had to surrender all their animals at one time, 
but the buffalo were eventually returned. 

They have about 100 acres.  

The people who lived there no longer do, the house is 
largely burned, but there is the large pole barn you see here, and another smaller barn to the left. They still own the property. 

There was a gentleman living there in a trailer, but he has been gone at least since 
we first lived there. 

Two years ago, I came upon a dead buffalo cow on the side of the road, and 
a mile farther, another.  I was told then that they are frequently getting out at the back 
of the property, but this was along State. 

Over the last three or four years, the red cedar trees grew up on and in the fenceline, until you could no longer really see into the property.  In the last few months, someone is clearing the red cedar in the pasture, and along the fence.  

When the buffalo saw me stop, the cows and calves immediately came down the hill to the fence to see what I was doing, just like cows everywhere. 


Leavenworth County Humane Society, and the Humane Society of the United States 
are both aware of the buffalo, but there is not a lot that can be done.  
The Leavenworth County Sheriff's office advised me one time (in the
tone you can imagine) "... "Little lady, those are wild animals and they can take care of themselves just fine".  

There are two ponds on the property. 

So, I have not talked to anyone yet who knows what is going on, but here 
is the rest of the story.  I suspect it has something to do with the clearing. 

There is a large pond on the next property over, which is unimproved, 
meaning no structures.  The owners want to put a fishing operation 
in there, along with a trailer parking operation (where people can 
park their recreational trailers while traveling).  We, in the neighborhood, are afraid it will 
turn out to be a trailer parking "neighborhood" that will bring property values down, 
and we have protested it over the past year.  
I suspect this clearing has something to do with that, but as I say, I don't know for sure yet. 

So, putting out feelers. 


In the meantime, I'm enjoying seeing the buffalo again. 


9 comments:

  1. Decades ago there were buffalo in a field by the Cumberland River here, I think on a farm where sausage was made so these were just pets. My kids always loved seeing them when we passed. They are so majestic.

    I hope everything works out for the best in that situation, Mary Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    they are indeed, noble beasts... wild, yes, but this isn't a 'wild' situation. One does wonder...

    As to the trailer park, presumably restrictions on 'long stay' can be implemented in order to avoid settling down? Permitting tourism is not a bad thing, but I quite understand the concern on the 'neighbourhood' aspect. Here's praying for positive outcomes all round. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There used to be a couple farms in my area that had them, but I don't see any these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's not going to be the trailer park person. Hopefully, they are just cleaning up the property for the buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look as if the buffalo are doing quite well. Hope they continue to do so and that your neighborhood does too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing animals! Thanks so much for sharing the pics, and story!
    If I had a big ol' farm, I'd raise buffalo, and sunflowers ~~ **smile**.

    Have a lovely day!
    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Youkes. We would definitely have the same concerns as you
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh give me a home - where the buffalo roam . . . Oops, mom was singing. We have an island in the middle of the (not so) Great Salt Lake called Antelope Island and bison live there!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!