Thursday, January 21, 2016

All About the Birds (and Squirrels!)

Today is National Squirrel Appreciation Day! 

At the old place, I LOVED watching the squirrels, and never 
begrudged them any feed. 

Lilly, however, had different feelings about them. 

Here, we have no squirrels.  Oh, I think they are in the tree lines around us, 
but here in this 3 street subdivision, there are none. 


Remember this beautiful guy that I pictured through out the summer and fall? 

I never wrote about it, but the week before my brother died, I went down the 
road and found him in the middle. 

It broke my heart. 


However, I still have plenty of subjects... 

Happy Appreciation Day, to all you little squirrel buddies. 


I have noticed this past two weeks that the male cardinals all have 
darker feathers on their backs at this time of year. 
Several days in a row, we had seven pair of Cardinals in the yard, they are the
last of the birds to feed at night here. 


Are you still watching? 


We had lots of these (mourning doves) 


The nyger seed feeder was very popular. 


You can see it was still windy. 


It's so much fun to watch them. 


Two days ago, we stopped at Orschelns to get some seed, because I was afraid I 
would run out before getting to Valley in Bonner Springs. 
You see it is mostly "parakeet seed" (my name for it).  I am mixing it with 
everything else to get the birds to eat it. 

I sprinkled nyger on the little bench I use as a feeder, but I noticed 30 minutes ago
when I went downstairs for the last spreading of feed that the birds didn't touch it! 


These birds, who are co-existing in this cold and cloudy weather. 
We did have snow through the first half of the day, but it did not accumulate, thankfully. 


Yes, there were some starlings, too... but not the hordes I used to feed in the country, so that's a relief. 


Love these finches! 


Love my girl with the snowflakes, too! 

11 comments:

  1. Those red Cardinal birds are so beautiful! I wonder why the bird were not eating the food you put down,, well of course something will eat it.
    We have not seen a squirrel for a long time,,, I think they are sleeping
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all of your beautiful pictures! I am learning so much about bird identification. So fun! --Torina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dark color of this squirrel. I hope it passed the color on to the next generation.

    Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you do have lots to appreciate even without the squirrels we have 3 that run up and down our fence and the telephone wires. I can never get a picture though as they are very quick to run when I appear. Hope you have a fantastic Friday !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I remember him. Awwww, I hate seeing them run over.

    I know those birds are grateful in their birdie ways for that feed Mary Ann.

    Stay warm and safe. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My father mixed seed for their wild birds. He complained the packaged seed had too much millet in it. I always suspected their birds were spoiled--even their squirrels got pecans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our dad has never seen a cardinal in the furs . . . um I mean feathers. Great shots!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors are so vibrant against the snow
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Ann, you take such wonderful photos I would like to ask you to marry me. Oh wait, I already did that. Love .... Jester's Daddy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!