Monday, July 14, 2014

Birdhouses and More


This is a birdhouse in the pasture at the old place. 

When we moved in 9 years ago, there was a birdhouse on almost every pole in the pasture.  Over the years, they fell apart and fell off 

I forgot to take a picture of the barn on the next pole up... it is still usable, as is this one. 


There used to be one on this pole in the corner... and birds used it every year. 


There is still one here, hidden by the overgrown trees in the fenceline 



I'm not sure this one, near the vegetable garden, is usable anymore.  These houses were put there many years ago.  I used to ask Keith if we couldn't put some new houses up, but they were always on the 
"C" list... at the bottom of the chores. 

I wish we had, it would have been a good legacy. 


Troy's tractor stopped in the middle of cutting a few weeks ago, and still sits in our pasture. 
He thinks he needs to put a battery in it, and hasn't had time. 


The pasture is in good shape, and someone is going to get a nice place to keep a horse, some sheep, or some goats.  


The mulberries on Beau's tree have gone by... but the tree is still going strong. 


The pasture was half-cut before the tractor broke down, so I walked a lot of it.  I found these feces... 
coyote, maybe????

(I would have said Abby if I didn't know better) 


I love the wildflowers of Kansas


(When will I learn to step out of the picture and not take my shadow?) 


Coming up to Fortress Old Henyard.  It looks like a green wall, doesn't it? 


And I can no longer get the gate open from either side.  Whoever moves here, if they want to keep chickens in the old henhouse... will have to do some work on it. 

Tomorrow will be a work day at the old place... Keith is over there tonight, working on the floors, trying to get all the staples up.  

We have to get them as smooth as we can, then we will paint the floor with Kilz and let it dry very well before we put the carpet down.  Even this afternoon when Lilly and I ran out there, the house smelled ten times better than it did on Saturday, so, we're making progress little by little. 

And now that I know I can get down to the brush heap (the tractor is sitting next to it)... I'll drag some of the bigger branches and small trees we have cut down to it in the next few days. 

Thank heavens for the polar vortex of July! 



6 comments:

  1. Oh we love a good birdhouse
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh--- thats what we say GOSH! So much going on,,, but we think birds will be moving in.. We think so!
    That tractor looks sad.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, having this break in the weather is wonderful. I've shut of the a/c here this morning. I do love the wildflowers growing everywhere this time of year. Queen Annes Lace is one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy having some cooler temps to work in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say we are going to get another cold front moving thru here. Good, I like it being cooler in July. It's weird, but in a good way.

    I've been on my property for 20 years now. The weeds and trees would take over what I've cleaned up in a short time.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. we never knew about using kilz on the floor...that is a good idea...hey we saw your queen annes lace also.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank yo for dropping by! Looks like you have your work cut out for yourself - but it is pretty out there!!
    Hopefully, someone will put all that land to good use!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!