Saturday, February 23, 2013

Round Two About to Descend

Well... the sprinkling of snow we were told we were going to get on Monday has now turned into another full-blown winter storm, with 6 to 10 more inches predicted.  Yes, I have talked to Troy-Next-Door to have him contact the gentleman to re-do our drive on Wednesday sometime, as it is supposed to run Monday noon to Tuesday noonish.  

We are grateful for the moisture, we needed it so badly... but it IS hard to trudge around in it.  We had a good discussion today, and we may phase the old henhouse out as we lose birds over the next year.  It would be so much easier to use just the new henhouse, and reduce numbers.  However, it would also give us a chance to clean and re-do the old henhouse, and then the turkeys could take it over.  Something to think about, anyway. 

The tomato bisque last night was a made-from-scratch thrown together from what we have in the pantry, but I try to keep things on hand that I can use to throw things together.  Keith asked to eat lightly tonight, and I fixed him a cheeseburger... he couldn't even finish that.  It's out in the pasture with other scraps, but we have not seen hide nor hair of the vixen or a coyote in the last three nights.  I know they are having terrible trouble getting around.  I did see a dead coyote by the side of the road today on my way to church... it was not there this morning when I delivered the eggs to the food pantry.  It hurts me to see them. 

The horses around the corner that I always felt so sorry for are gone now.  The man ran an ad on Craigslist last weekend, and on Sunday, after taking Nathan home, I saw them being loaded into a trailer.  At least, I saw the brown filly... and hoped the other two were loaded.  I prayed that they were not going to a killer buyer... oh yes, they are still out there.  It wouldn't be so bad if they would be going to a humane slaughter, but we are in the heart of America, and Mexican abbatoirs are notoriously cruel.  I might be silly to pray for animals, but I do... and pray that those three found a good home with someone who would take care of them. 


Our old man Ranger has had a very good last six weeks.  At one point, we thought we were going to lose him, but even though he is limping around badly, he has had more good days than bad.  In fact, I am only giving him his Tramadol once a day now, and he has been going outside quite a bit, even if it's just to lay on the porch.  Today, though, after church, I locked up, and he followed me out through the snow and wandered around a little.  I am so glad for him... I hope this keeps up for a while longer.  He's so gray now, but he was our black and silver beauty when young. 


Lilly does not let anything stop her... here she was listening to the Spehar's dog barking... and was getting agitated.  She watched something tonight in the pasture, as well... and I could not see it. 

I have put food out the last few nights, knowing the storm was coming, and after it started.  I have seen NO sign of fox or coyote.  I have seen this several times: 


That's a big crow.  He took care of the food. 


The camera fell backwards on the deck this morning... and look what it captured.  Beautiful, glorious blue skies... and lots of starlings and redwings waiting to eat.  Keith stocked up again today on more feed... we are prepared for the coming week. Please note the buds on the maple tree!  26 days until spring! 

That's it for today from Calamity Acres! 



13 comments:

  1. It's a difficult way to get moisture but the grass and trees love the deep wet of a good snow.

    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blue skies. Spring IS just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know what Ranger's problems may be, but there are natural things you can feed them to help with some problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much the same weather here. We are under a blizzard warning for tonight and tomorrow.
    I too worry about the wildlife and wish all domestic animals have caring homes. We are much alike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't believe we are in for another round!
    We couldn't hardly get anything last winter.

    M :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The buds are coming out on the maple trees here too! Sure sign that spring is not far off. Take care with the snow! Hope you have a restful and relaxing Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning, wow!! what a beautiful blue sky......so happy Ranger is feeling better......I always pray for the animals, sure hope the horses are o`k`too, Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay warm! And YES, Spring is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your snow is beautiful!
    I know what you're saying about the horses!
    I pray for animals too! they are God's creatures - great and small!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good grief, that's a lot of snow.

    My pantry is about bare. I need to go shopping, since I've been sick I haven't felt like it. But, I guess it's good to kind of clean it out and start over with fresh stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the storm isn't as bad as predicted. We only got WIND yesterday when it passed by here. We stayed inside all day it was so bad. I hope the horses found a good home. It makes me so sad to see the half starved ones that go through our horse auction every month. If I could afford it, I would bring them all home...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the horses got a good home too. Lots of people buying them around here to send off for horse meat. Glad to hear Ranger is having some good days, I hope he gets to enjoy life and you guys get to enjoy him a while longer too. Precious moments.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!