Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Conundrum for Jackson

Yesterday, after I hauled the branches down to the brush heap in the pasture, I sat down to watch the birds for a while.  I like to do this from time to time... it helps me see if anyone is injured or not well... and then I can catch the bird and check it out.  So, as I sat there, I took a look at everyone.  Two of the hens from the little henyard had come over and were dust-bathing in the big henyard.  I have purposely left the gate open between the two yards for two weeks now, so that everyone (roosters) will get used to each other, because I am moving all girls to the new henhouse, and part of the roosters.  The seven trouble makers and Handsome will be staying in the little henyard. 
 
I digress.
 
Here is what caught my eye:


I'm making them big on purpose so you can see what's going on.  That's a Tom Turkey... Jackson... circling Mack, the hen in the dust bath.


As he scrutinized her... he tried ever-so-carefully placing a big foot on her back.

 
And as you see... he is much larger than she.
 
Finally, as he stretched a foot out again, she jumped up as if seeing him for the first time, and ran back into the little henyard.
 
Clarabelle and Jackson were a couple before she died... and I have never seen Jackson try to breed Annabelle.  I suspect she is just coming into adulthood, but frankly, I have not had an egg out of her in two months.   During this whole episode, she was napping ten feet away.
 
 
I don't know, but if I were a Tom Turkey, I'd be going after this beautiful girl!


2 comments:

  1. Maybe he likes petite girls........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe...............He is a gentleman, and is waiting for a nice "come on"?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!