Friday, September 21, 2012

Apple Crisp for a Fall Day

Another gorgeous fall day, one day short of official fall!   84 degrees out there now, but the wind is blowing and it provides relief, almost too much!
 
Tonight I go to see and hear Joel Osteen with my friend Valerie, at the Sprint Center.  We have been planning this since mid-summer, when Valerie and I were co-workers.
 
But this morning, I put a great stew in the crock pot to cook during the day, and then, after having breakfast with my three cousins... came home to make apple crisp, from a recipe found on Grit in my email.
 
For this apple crisp, I used apples from a bag of windfalls given to my neighbor Kathy by a friend the other day. 
 
It is more of a crumble than a crisp, according to the Grit blogger (and of course I did not write down the name again).

 
If you notice, I used the apples even if there were bruises on them... just cut them out.
 
In one bowl combine: 3/4 cup sugar, (1/2 white and 1/2 brown), 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 2 tbl. flour
 
 
In another bowl combine:  1 cup flour, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 cup cugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter straight from the refrigerator, not soft.
 
Use pastry cutter to turn this mixture into crumbles.  Put bowl with crumbles in the refrigerator.
 
Peel and slice 8 large apples, making the slices fairly thin.
 
(I used 8 smaller apples, because that was what I had for the 9 x 13 glass dish I was using).
 
 
Coat bottom of glass 13x9 pan with non-stick spray.
Layer apples and sugar/cinnamon mixture, repeating till full.
(I just mixed them all together with a stir of the spoon)
 
Put the crumb mix that has been in the fridge on the top.
 
Bake at 375 for approximately 40-50 minutes.  Put foil on top of the pan after 15 minutes so it doesn't get brown.
 
(I cooked mine for 40 minutes, and put foil on it, it came out like this:)
 
 
I literally almost didn't get a picture of it!  Not only did the house smell heavenly, but Keith and I were both hungry for something sweet.
 
I admit that I usually bake apple crisp from a kit for speed's sake, but wow, this was excellent, very easy to make, and tasted.... creamy, that's the only way I can describe it.  I'll have vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on hand when I make it again!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Yum! Great recipe, I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your house smelled heavenly! I love the smells that fill the house in the fall...apples, pumpkin, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This apple crisp smelled far better than any candle I've been burning lately! There's none left tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, nummy! I've been craving apple pie the last couple of days, and I'm literally salivating looking at that picture. Do you know what kind of apples those were?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy! Great for a fall day! I tried Martha Stewart's Apple Pandowdy last year and loved it. I'll have to look for the recipe again!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The apples tasted like Jonathans, and were small... and from my neighbor's friend's tree... I suspect they WERE Jonathans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure those chickens enjoyed the apple scraps.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!