Sunday, March 18, 2012

Born Free


As you can see, we had a little problem this morning with the Egyptians.
The tarp covering the small pen they were in was separating, and the male climbed out.  He didn't go very far.


They are absolutely beautiful birds... and the grayish feathers you see on their backs are actually colored like guinea feathers, tiny dots.  Beautiful!


Aztec was fascinated by them, and watched for the longest time.

I guess I should tell you that at this point, the entire flock of the big henhouse was inside... afraid to come out, I think.


Here they are from the side, they really are nice, aren't they?

I found a co-worker who had kept some, and she told me that they eat pellets, same as all the other fowl.  I did not see them eat ONE pellet, though.

SO.... I went to church, and when I came home, I noticed that the llamas were looking to the north as one... staring at the calf pasture.  What I suspect they were staring at was a pair of ducks... Egyptian ones... because they are BORN FREE.  Yep, I'm out my money and they went bye-bye while I was at church.  I intended to give a shot at keeping them, or put them on Craigslist... but I didn't get very far.
I warned my neighbor to check his pond frequently this week, as I suspect they'll stay in the vicinity for a while.  I read numerous accounts last night that there are pairs traveling with canadas and they are seen frequently... so I'd like to think they are going to enjoy Duck Nirvana.

Like I said, Live and Learn.

It was this kind of day:


Small dot to the right in picture is a tiny calf.


(Note to self... we HAVE to repair roof of duck house QUICK)

When the ducks were gone, out came the chickens, and by now it was windy, as you can see from Two's tail.  The tiny hen to his left hangs out with him all the time.  She is in trouble... can you see her behind?  She is still eating and drinking, but something is going on at her rear end, and I have not been able to catch her in the last few days to look closely.  I don't THINK it's her egg bed, but I'm not sure. She is one of our oldest hens, but still lays.

The wolf at the fence.  Notice the poultry wire zip-tied onto the fencing, so the chickens can't walk through into the yard and be eaten.

We are expecting heavy rains for the next four days.  I did not get the grass touched this weekend, so may have to have someone come in and bush-hog the yard at this rate!

Here's Azzie looking at the tarp I had just put on the Mille pen this afternoon to provide them a little relief from the rain about to come.


She was a little uncertain about the flapping blue thing!

Have a good start to your week!






4 comments:

  1. I know the ducks were a mistake, but I love your post about them. Too bad you didn't have them tagged so one day someone might let you know where they ended up. But you might not want to feel responsible for whatever they might do along the way. They are beautiful. Yes we are suppose to get between 4-6 inches of rain in the next 4 days. I'll have some unhappy goats. But we want to recover from the drought. And it looks like it is going to be a hot summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sorry that you lost your new ducks. Perhaps it was meant to be, though? Maybe your role in all this was to set them free. :-)

    I'm off to finish work on the ark - we're going to need it after we get all this rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess they got out of Dodge.

    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DOH! So nice of you to buy them so they could fulfill their dreams to be traveling circus performers. Good for you!

    I also have a hen with the same back-end trouble. She does have an egg stuck, as far as I can tell. I have decided to let it work itself out--there are just too many things that can go wrong.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!