Monday, March 28, 2011

A Bend in the Road

About five miles from us as the crow flies, on a way we often take to Fort Leavenworth, the road takes a bend, and goes across a levee that runs through a valley that often floods in the spring rains.  Indeed, we have seen it flooded almost to the top of the levees, and have driven between water on either side, just in the seven years we have lived here.  Now there will be improvements made, and in the paper six months ago, there was an article about a farm that is being affected by the improvements.


Here is one of the barns affected, a dairy barn...
And the other:
The daughter of the man who built these barns still lives on the same farm, which, as you can see, is divided by Tonganoxie Road. 
Here is one of the barns at present... I did not get over there this weekend to take a newer picture:

For someone who has barn envy and will probably never own a wonderful barn like this, it hurts us to see them coming down in the name of progress.  We won't see this scene when we go around the bend much longer (and won't be going around the bend while they work on the road)
I can only imagine how the daughter of the man who built them so many years ago feels... what a change for her family.

Tonight, I have another bend in my road. 

You see, I have stupidly hurt the feelings of a fellow blogger, and am sure that person will never read this blog again.  I did it so very thoughtlessly, and am so sorry.  I am not a mean person, and I made a comment before thinking things out, and now that person has been wounded.  I want you all to know that though we will never meet - I have valued all the comments made on this blog.  I grew up as an adopted child in a family that never understood why I loved animals so.  My dad indulged me at 12 with a horse, but never understood why he was dangerous (one eye and only green broken) for a 12 year old, though he knew he had made me happy.  When we had a dog as I was growing up, the dog was kept outside, and we never had cats.  My brothers and sister to this day don't understand, nor does Keith's family.  I was blessed to have Keith in my life after 30 years of raising my kids alone after my first husband's death.
I am so grateful, again, for your comments and suggestions, because I know you are out there and are interested in many of the same things as I am.  To wound one person because of  thoughtlessness is the height of stupidity, and I am so very chagrined and apologetic for it. 

11 comments:

  1. It is such a shame to see a part of history be torn down,so many farms here have been dismantled,orchards torn out and mostly for new housing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we could all stand to be a little less sensitive to comments. The written word is easily mis-taken. Too bad. Also, too bad about the barn. Maybe they are happy with the price they got for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know--maybe the blogger will come back after reading your apology.
    These things happen.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree with Michaele about being sensitive. We are all different people with different beliefs even if we have a lot of common interests. I would hope people could be accepting of other people's ideas and beliefs and not be easily offended.

    It's such a shame the old barns are going to be torn down. I wonder if there is an organization that could help move them to a new location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary Ann!....I`m sure the comment wasnt meant to hurt. I agree with the others here, we sometimes need to be a little less sensitive, and read the written word for what it is. But I`m sure your apology would be accepted. Shame about the barns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Vermont, we are losing old barns at a rapid pace but last spring, we started to restore ours. We shored it up for winter and will start work once again when and if spring arrives. So sad to see history lost.

    You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It breaks my heart to see any barn torn down, no matter the reason.... my heart aches for the lady whose family built it.

    Those were beautiful words, Mary Ann... I'm sure the person you feel that you offended will realize you never meant to hurt them.
    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sad to see the old barns being torn down for progress.

    I don't think you would intentionally hurt any one. You've always been a sweet person with your comments on my blog and your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe the blogger will come back and read your apology. I guess you'll have revisited their blog and explained things there.

    In Britain a lot of the old stone barns are being renovated and turned into beautiful homes.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MA...Or...you could get a cow! =+)
    People take themselves and others waaay too seriously. After all, this isn't Japan. Those people have something to be serious about. These are just blogs, after all.
    Mary Ann, you are one of the sweetest, kindest people I know and I know you pretty well. You wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone or any thing.
    And yes...I hate to see the old barns go. But to restore one...WOW. We looked into restoring ours. Was going to be about a hundred grand. UGH.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary Ann, I have blundered in to comments a few times myself. Mercifully, no one held it against me for too long. Well, one did. It happens and we move on. Do not fret too much or too long.

    Oh I hate to see old barns go down. Progress will be good, though. It will be good not to have the flooding. Perhaps this woman will have a new little barn built or perhaps furniture will be made or something that will ease the loss a bit.

    Happy April Fool's Day!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!